Your work as a Senior QA Engineer will ensure that thousands of Appcues customers continue to build beautiful experiences such as in-app guides, tips, announcements, and surveys that improve their products without writing any code. Your mission will be to ensure we design and deliver quality products and improve our overall quality process and practices. Quality is critical to us because our world-class customers such as Amplitude, Wistia, Segment, and ProfitWell embed Appcues in their products to deliver high-quality experiences to millions of end-users.
About the role
- The product, engineering & design group currently has 19 people across three small teams. You will be a member of our Experiences or Studio teams, testing enhancements to our web tools to build in-app experiences, segment users, target experiences, and analyze activity and goals.
- A typical day involves working on larger projects and smaller changes, including commenting on upfront on briefs, specs, and designs, developing effective test plans, performing in-depth exploratory testing, entering actionable bugs, and verifying fixes. We will make sure you always know what the business’ priorities are to help you organize your work.
- You’ll collaborate with product managers, engineers, and customers to translate product briefs describing customer problems into thoughtfully designed solutions. The team works using Slack, Zoom, Notion (wiki), Clubhouse (issue tracking), and Github. However, your work itself is mostly autonomous. We will trust you to get work done when and where you are most productive.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack, and are committed to remote, agile development. So that projects are not tossed over a wall for testing, engineers develop unit tests and integration tests. When a PR / Feature branch is ready for exploratory testing, you’ll use our continuous integration pipeline to validate it on an isolated staging environment.
- While this is primarily a manual testing role, there are opportunities to help expand our automated regression test suite using Cypress and Rainforest, and if needed, we can train you.
- You’ll drive enhancements to our approach to quality and testing to validate that our solutions are performant, on schedule, and deliver our expected outcomes and success metrics.
- This position reports into the Head of Product and Engineering.
- You bring a level of software testing expertise that will help us craft an outstanding experience for our customers and amplify the good work done by our engineers, designers, and product managers. You have years of experience working with SaaS applications and working with agile engineering teams.
- You can comfortably work 9-5 Eastern Time. Working from other timezones is fine, but we require 8 hours overlap to collaborate effectively with the rest of our team members who also work these hours.
- You are energized by breaking things and running down what exactly failed. When you discover an intermittent bug, you continue to test around the issue to find reproducible steps.
- As an excellent written and verbal communicator, you can quickly and concisely summarize a complex issue, including all relevant details.
- You enjoy decomposing a large project into a test plan that maximizes coverage and time to test. You naturally prioritize testing the most critical or risky areas first. You seek out the primary user paths and important edge cases through research and close team collaboration.
- You are extremely curious and strive for a deeper understanding of the product’s users and any system or feature you test. You often ask “How” and “Why,” not just “What” and “When.”
- You know the ins and outs of testing web applications. You are comfortable with tools that assist in bug capture, diagnosis, simulation, knowing these tools’ limits.
- You are empathetic, helpful and regularly look for ways to pitch in and make a difference for your team and company.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working remotely or can adjust your work and management style to be remote-friendly.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, their work, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words. We live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer that commits to diversity and inclusion and also celebrates it. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or marital status. We believe that diverse teams foster a more inclusive company culture, build better products, and are more human, humane, and fun.