We are looking for a capable, focused Rails engineer who can help us build out our Elemental Insights dashboard. This person is at home writing and testing elegant Ruby code, using frontend frameworks, and finding the fastest SQL query for the job. You will be responsible for making our dashboard even more feature rich at all layers of the stack. At the same time, you will wear a lot of new and different hats.
If you thrive on problem solving in a fast-paced environment and know what to do in these situations, we would love to hear from you.
- You need to display a line graph of a million data points – in a split second. Then, you have to figure out how cache the results to improve performance.
- Your team’s data scientist needs help updating a complex rules engine and interface. You need to update the code and the database, but be sure not to cause regressions.
- The QA engineer reports that the dashboard integration tests are failing on the latest version of Rails.
- You need to build a system to receive megabytes of real time data per second without missing a single bit. Later, sales take off and you need to scale up by a factor of 100.
If you are nodding your head in recognition, we would like to hear from you. Please email us with subject line “Problem solved” and tell us how you handled a similar scenario. Please include your latest resume.
We’re guessing you:
- Have 5+ years of experience
- Can reel off the tradeoffs between different join clauses in your sleep, and can wrangle Postgres or MySQL
- Have strong opinions about best practices and open to new ideas
- Get excited about jumping into a new project with both feet
- Can expertly juggle feature development, infrastructure maintenance, and bug fixes
- Get excited about the idea of TDD
Bonus points if you:
- Are used to managing a fleet of AWS servers
- Have worked with ES6, Sass, or Slim
- Have a bunch of (mostly) finished projects on GitHub
- Have a BS/MS in computer science, computer engineering, or similar