Appcues is a SaaS platform that empowers customers to build personalized user experiences inside their apps to improve product adoption in minutes, not weeks. We’ve grown rapidly over the past couple of years and now have over 1,000 customers, from 10-person startups all the way through the Fortune 50. We’re hiring our first Director of Finance to oversee our finance function and support our next stage of growth.
Reporting directly to the COO, you will be a key member of our leadership team tasked with elevating the level of financial analysis supporting all business decisions. The right candidate is hands-on and innovative, preferably with high growth startup experience. We are well positioned to continue fast-paced growth and seek someone with a strong systems orientation that can help us scale.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Thinking strategically about the long-term direction of Appcues. You should partner with management to help us understand what aspects of the business (customer segments, go-to-market campaigns, etc.) are over or underperforming and reallocate our focus.
- Managing all accounting operations (including billing, A/R, A/P and general ledger) and developing timely financial reporting to be presented to management, investors, and lenders.
- Leading the company’s annual budgeting process and owning the financial forecast model. You should feel comfortable working across the teams to help functional leaders better plan for future growth.
- Collaborating with company co-founders to report financial performance to the Board of Directors and produce reporting and pitch materials to be used in future fundraising processes.
- Managing and growing a team. You’ll come in with two direct reports and will have the opportunity to build a larger team as we grow.
- Complying with local, state and federal reporting requirements and tax filings; developing accounting policies and systems that ensure compliance with all pertinent GAAP, SEC rules and similar regulations.
The right person:
- 5+ years’ professional experience with a Bachelor’s degree; MBA and/or CPA highly valued
- High-growth SaaS startup experience highly valued;Outstanding financial modeling skills required
- Strong technical finance and accounting skills required, including knowledge of financial reporting in accordance with GAAP
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to analyze and interpret data to identify key business trends
- Ability to build solid relationships and establish credibility across all levels of the organization and with key external parties
- A proven performer who is motivated, focused, passionate, and inspires confidence in employees and senior management, and
- Highest level of integrity in all his/her dealings with people inside and outside the company, exemplifying high moral and ethical behavior.
You may be a fit if…
- You have 8+ years of relevant professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree; MBA and/or CPA not required but highly valued
- You have high-growth SaaS startup experience and can help us build systems & process that will scale past $25M in revenue
- You have deep experience in FP&A, headcount, sales and demand planningYou have outstanding financial modeling skills and take pride in your mastery of even the most sel domly used excel shortcuts
- You’re a student of software and geek out over SaaS benchmarks published by folks like David Skok, Openview and Tomasz Tunguz
- You have strong technical finance and accounting skills, including knowledge of financial reporting in accordance with GAAP
- You have great interpersonal and communication skills and can develop productive relationships with teammates, and key external parties
Founded in 2013 in Boston, MA, Appcues is a user experience layer that accelerates growth for companies by helping them create amazing product experiences. Ones that are seamless, stickier, and more intuitive than ever before. With Appcues, any company that is investing in its product can make it more usable and feature-rich for customers.
We’re a friendly group of ambitious people who believe the best work environment is one that is meaningful, challenging, and built on openness, autonomy, and collaboration.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer and believes a diverse team is a stronger team.