At Drift we are changing the way businesses buy from other businesses with our conversational marketing platform. Backed by outstanding investors and focused on building a pillar company in Boston.
We are building out the G&A organization support this tremendous growth by developing the systems and processes to scale the Company. As part of that process, we are looking for to hire a Corporate Counsel.
The Corporate Counsel role will be our first full-time hire in the legal department. It will be a “jack or jill” of all things legal role with a special emphasis on our sales process and working with our sales and operations organization to make the sales process as frictionless as possible but will be involved in all legal matters of the Company. The role will report directly to the CFO and be an important member of the management team as we continue our growth.
Specific, but not all, responsibilities will be:
- Review our standard customer agreements and licensing process with an eye towards making the sales process as frictionless as possible while protecting the Company’s IP
- Negotiating customer licensing SaaS agreements, often directly with end customer legal and purchasing teams.
- Coaching and helping sales management and reps understand the contract process
- Review and manage organization/administration of our contract documentation process to ensure the process scales as we grow
- Work with sales, operations and product management on various changes in security and data protection laws, including GDPR, to ensure the Company’s platform is in compliance and meeting our customers’ needs.
- Manage and negotiate vendor and partnership agreements
- Work with product management and development in various development, OEM and partner agreements.
- Assist in any future fund raising rounds or M&A activity
- Work extensively with the executive management on various legal matters, internally and externally
- Support the activities of various departments in the Company outside of sales including development, finance, HR and marketing
- Provide guidance and support with various corporate matters including compliance, governance and Board materials
- Manage external legal counsel
- Assist in establishment of future subsidiaries internationally as we expand our business
As the perfect candidate for this role, you likely have:
- 7+ years of professional experience – in-house experience required
- J.D. Licensed to practice in Massachusetts
- High integrity and professionalism. Ability to deal with executives at the highest level inside and outside the Company.
- Experience in high tech software environments, preferably SaaS.
- Business orientated approach to the legal role, focused on getting to the end result, while balancing protecting the Company’s interest.
- A doer, a detail-oriented person, get hands dirty — not a “manager”. Will do things from A to Z.
- Practical experience in negotiating software-licensing agreements with good knowledge of commercial and contract law. Understanding of financial and revenue recognition issues as it relates to software licensing is a plus.
- Comfort with handling topics such as privacy and data protection in the commercial contract world.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player, experience working in a cross-cultural environment.
Drift is the world’s first and only conversational marketing and sales platform. More than 50,000 businesses use Drift to provide a modern buying experience for potential customers, generate more qualified leads, and dramatically accelerate the sales cycle.
At Drift, team members:
Have complete ownership and accountability over their role and functional area
Have complete transparency into the rest of the company (and are expected to show their work and do the same)
Have a sense of urgency. We are building a once in a lifetime company at Drift, so we move fast every single day.