Our mission is to promote voter participation and civic engagement within progressive and Democratic campaigns and organizations. Our thesis is that grassroots activism at scale is better at changing hearts and minds than political ads. To make this process easier for campaigns of all sizes, we are building a community of activists distributed across the country that doesn’t have to be rebuilt every election cycle. We empower those activists with technology to make it easy to mobilize at the national level in a way that is both impactful and coordinated with the campaigns and organizations that have been doing this amazing work for decades.
Outvote, backed by YCombinator and Higher Ground Labs, was founded in 2017 as a get out the vote tool for Democrats. Outvote has since expanded to become a distributed organizing platform for anyone anywhere in the US to make an impact for the causes and candidates they care about.
In the 2018 midterms, Outvote helped build the biggest midterm turnout in over 100 years. Users on Outvote contacted over 1 million voters to get out the vote. Columbia University’s Data Institute recently estimated Outvote’s cost per vote at $2. Outvote has been covered by the New York Time and the Washington Post among others.
In 2020, Outvote will be working with Planned Parenthood nationwide and 100+ of their affiliates, the DCCC in all their supported congressional campaigns, multiple presidential primary candidates, Greenpeace on climate change reform, and more. At Outvote, you’ll be positioned to make a major impact in 2020.
About the Role
The Chief Technical Officer role at Outvote is responsible for owning and maintaining the entire Outvote technical stack. This includes both writing code and managing the development process and working with the Outvote team and contractors on everything from requirements and design to implementation and quality assurance.
- Building technical specifications: outlining the implementation details for features on the product roadmap. This includes feature requirements, UI/UX, analytics, and security requirements.
- Managing design process: working with our contract designer to concept and wireframe, iterate, and then finalize mockups to bring feature specs to life.
- Implementing new features: taking on implementation for the highest priority development requirements and managing contractors for lower priority features. Moving from Github issues to staging, QA and ultimately production deployment.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting: finding solutions for client tickets and leading the bug fixing process.
- Roadmapping and capacity planning: estimating development timelines and understanding how to scale our development process to succeed in 2020.
The ideal candidate
- At least 3 years of experience working on a consumer-facing production environment.
- Experience working in Ruby on Rails + Sidekiq + RSpec, React and React Native.
- Optional experience working with Expo, Elasticsearch, Redis, Heroku, New Relic, Github, Travis CI, and Airbrake.
- Empathetic to the daily rigor and short-term demands of a start-up and able to tie these to long-term, strategic initiatives.
- Passionate about politics, progressive issue-based advocacy, and civic engagement.
We don’t expect individual candidates to have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others
What’s in it for you?
- Salary range: $140k – $160k
- Equity range: 0.5% – 2%
- 100% of medical and dental insurance premiums paid
- Flexible work environment
- Work with an inspiring and dedicated team of passionate activists and organizers